Working in partnership with parents and carers of our students is key. Having good lines of communication with parents is so important if we are to work together to ensure students fulfill their potential.
Traditionally parents evening are used to achieve this, however, we have found these to be quite a frustrating experience for all parties involved and don’t necessarily help the student take responsibility for their own learning.
The plan is to break the mould and do it differently here at WUTC. We don’t have Parents Evenings. We have Student Reflection Surgeries (two over the course of the academic year).
Rather than have parents waiting to speak to teachers for a few minutes, the student takes responsibility: this is their learning journey, their future. Students will give a presentation on what they’ve been doing in the term, what they feel they’re doing well in, where they feel they could improve.
- Running Order:
– Parents arrive and are directed to Axis building where they receive a name badge and sign in
– Parent join their child in the Lower Events Space where students have an allocated desk, chairs and laptop, and present to their parents. They are then questioned by their parents (crib sheet provided)
– Staff will visit students and parents at their allocated seat for a subject update discussion.
– Refreshments available in Cafe
– Completion of online Parent Survey using iPads
– Parents and students depart
Parking is limited if arriving by car, so please allow yourself plenty of time.
Timberlake Car Park directly opposite Watford UTC is free from 2pm and usually has spaces. Please enter via our main reception as per diagram below.